Monday, January 29, 2007

Buddhism

Actually, this post isn't about Buddhism.... I simply wanted to update y'all while posting Japan-focused only entries. However, there is a bit of karma / cyclic action here in the three things that recently happened:

1. Prior to coming to Japan, I had an iBook that required three (!!!) logic board replacements. I didn't want to bring a crap laptop to Japan, so I bought a new Macbook. Of course, as soon as I got here it started having so-called RSS (Random Shutdown Syndrome), but I fixed this. Then, recently CD's wouldn't eject and the keyboard wasn't able to be cleaned. it wouldn't connect to the net at all anymore. I had to bring it to Osaka to get it fixed and mailed back to me. So I had no way to email or post here. Then...

2. In what must surely be symbolic on some level, my Japanese celphone was doused in maple syrup. I tried to wipe it off with a moist rag, which sent it into "totally non-working" mode (I had put the maple syrup in my bag to show elementary school kids the "foods of Canada"). So, I had no computer or phone. Then....

3. I had a pretty bad day at school. I'm pretty easygoing, but sometimes the kids - especially the 2nd years - can get on your nerves a bit. (Actually, there was a recent article in the Japan Times about how Japan is considering bringing back punishment in class to restore discipline!)

However,

1. When I received my comp back, they had put in a new screen, keyboard, CD drive, and updated the processor to the latest version, essentially giving me a new computer! It's working great. So, I promise to post more here.

2. It took me a while, but I managed to not only fix my phone, but also navigate through complex instructions (in Japanese) to install a cool interface for it.

3. When I got back to my desk on that fateful day, the 3-year students had left something on my desk for me (and only me): a couple of desserts they'd made, along with a personalized note.

So. I recognize that this is a boring entry, but I wanted to update you and let you know that I have more interesting entries (with pix!) partially written and also that I am still alive. The "Food" entry (second in demand only to the "Sex" entry according to reader feedback) is coming up soon, and I'll post at least once tonight. If there's something that anyone wants to see here(besides "pictures of girls" for Bolton), let me know.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: